top of page

Hahn Hall

Music Academy of the West

The Music Academy’s first session convened with 54 students on July 7, 1947. Founders included legendary German operatic soprano and lieder singer, Lotte Lehmann as well as Otto Klemperer, music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra from 1933-1939. They were joined by such distinguished musicians as Ernest Bloch, Gregor Piatigorsky and Arnold Shoenberg. The education mission of the Music Academy has remained strong for over half a century and has secured its place as one of the internationally renowned summer conservatories.

MCH was engaged to improve the multiple music practice rooms on the campus and study a variety of means to acoustically upgrade the 350-seat Hahn Hall (initially constructed in 1970's). Hahn Hall is now a top-rated recital room and fine orchestra rehearsal hall featuring variable acoustics and a custom orchestra shell designed for optimum musician feedback.

MCH provided full-scope acoustical consulting and audiovisual design for hosting The Met: Live in HD series.

2008

Completed:

Montecito, CA

$15.5M

Cost:

12,500

Square ft:

Download PDF
bottom of page