Immaculate Conception Church
Immaculate Conception Church was dedicated in 1861, and houses the largest surviving organ built by Elias and George Greenleaf Hook, inaugurated in 1864.
The acoustical concerns for renovation were to maintain the wonderful environment for organ performance, to provide a highly-flexible sound system for a variety of activities within the Sanctuary, and introduce a group of small meeting rooms in the side aisles of the main floor requiring concentrated privacy and relative quiet. Legal proceedings by the Boston Landmarks Commission to stop renovation were resolved by demonstrating superb acoustics to everyone’s satisfaction. Immaculate Conception Church continues to host a regular schedule of organ recitals, other concerts, and liturgical celebrations.
Owner: The Order of the Jesuits of Boston
Architect: The Architectural Team, Chelsea, MA
Organ: Elias & George Greenleaf Hook, 1864
Renovation Date Range: 1987 to 1991
Acoustical consulting provided as a Cavanaugh Tocci Associates, Sudbury, MA, project, K. Anthony Hoover, FASA, Principal Consultant.