Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy’s first session convened with 54 students on July 7, 1947. Founders included legendary German operatic soprano and lieder singer, Lotte Lehmann as well as Otto Klemperer, music director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchesra from 1933-1939. They were joined by such distinguished musicians as Ernest Bloch, Gregor Piatigorsky and Arnold Shoenberg. Ms. Lehmann was joined at the helm by the music director of the Utah Symphony, Maurice Abravanel. Together they launchged the tradition of presenting fully staged operas during each summer’s music festival. The education mission of the Music Academy has remained strong for over half a century and has secured its place as one of the internationally renowned summer conservatories.
In 2005, MCH was engaged to study a variety of means to acousitcally upgrade thier 1970s recital hall as well as improve the multiple music practice rooms on the campus. Rehearsal rooms are now completed as is the $15.5M remodel (12,500gsf) and major acoustical upgrade of the 350 seat Hahn Hall, now a top-rated recital room and fine orchestra rehearsal hall featuring variable acoustics. MCH provided full-scope acoustical consulting plus audiovisual design for hosting The Met: Live in HD series. Project completed in mid-2008.
“...the impact was striking, lending credibility to the claim that this magnificent space is delicate acoustically and can be as finely tuned as any of the instruments on its stage.”
Chas. Donelan - Santa Barbara Independent
Ref: PMSM Architects